Anything that required a higher amount of involvement in terms of money and risk is a high involvement business. Hospitals are a high involvement business. Buying a match box may be one the lowest involvement decisions a customer will ever make. On the contrary getting a bye pass surgery done may be one of the highest involvement decisions he will ever make. The decision will involve a lot of risk and money. Here are salient features of high involvement decisions-
1. The prospect will ask around and take approval from his family members, friends and other opinion leaders before making a decision.
2. If it is a decision that will bring an unpleasant experience, the buyers will post-pone the decision as long as he can. No one is looking forward to his next surgery.
3. Price of the service is not a major concern for high involvement services like hospitals.
4. The buyer will prefer a second opinion more usually before spending on a risky service
5. Brand loyalty is high in high involvement decisions. Hardly does anyone change their Gynaecologist during the nine month pregnancy period.
6. The customers are required to be educated about the service in order to reduce dissonance.
7. The customers also need re-assurance after the purchase of a high involvement service.
Vivek Shukla Healthcare Marketing Consultant Sai Mahima Hospital, Ram Nagar, Dharamshala H.P. 176215 India Phone +91-9816086868; Email: [email protected]