Non phaco small incision cataract surgery is useful in all types of cataract. It has contributed considerably to accelerated wound healing and minimisation of hospitalisation. The technique we advocate here is neither phaco-fracture nor phaco-sandwich, the nucleus is delivered by means of a microvectis, which is very simple procedure as it does not require bimanual technique. This tunnel cataract surgery is inexpensive, phacoless, relatively easy, repeatable and can be performed for any type of cataract from childhood to rock hard nuclear cataract. The wound is more secure with reduced intra-operative complications and virtually no chance of expulsive haemorrhage. Childhood cataract is much easier as there is no nucleus and in no time chamber collapses during surgery. One could achieve faster and satisfactory visual rehabilitation without added cost of phaco.This is indeed a safe and effective technique of sutureless cataract surgery in the hands of experienced surgeons. Considering the low cost and rapid visual recovery, we recommend this simple technique for all types of cataract in the developing countries.
Fig.5: A/C formed with air bubble following lens implantation, note: modified pocket tunnel.
- Girard L J, Hoffman RF. Scleral tunnel to prevent induced astigmatism. Am J Ophthalmol 1984; 97: 450-456.
- Kratz RP, Colveard DM, Mazzoceo TR,Davidson B. Clinical evaluation of terry surgical keratometer. Am Intraocular Implant Soc J 1990; 6: 249-251.
- Jack A Singer. Frown incision for minimizing induced astigmatism after small incision cataract surgery with rigid optic intraocular lens implantation. J Cataract Refract Surg 1991;17: 677-688.
- Mishra P. Small incision cataract surgery- Non Phaco SICS. Indian Intaocul Implant Refract J 2003;1:9-15.
- Kapoor Sashi. Incisions . Emmetropia, J Intraocular Implant and Refract Society 1999; 2: 17-25.
- Mishra P. Cataract surgery in children. Cyber lectures, www.indmedica.com/ophthal 2000; 1-5.
- Mody Kirit , Singh Gagan J. Small incision non-phaco cataract surgery. Emmetropia, J Intraocular Implant and Refract Society 1999;2:9-11.
- Kumar Ravindra. Small incision cataract surgery without phaco- my experience. Emmetropia, J Intraocular and Refract Society 1999; 2: 53-55.
- Mishra P. Microvectis Technique. In: Singh Kamaljeet,ed, Small Incision Cataract Surgery.Jaypee Brothers, NewDelhi, 2002,pp 113-116.
- Mishra P.Incision in Non phaco SICS, Orissa journal ophthal 2000; I I:30-32.
- Manual small incision cataract surgery, Aravind eye hospital, Madurai,2000.
- Luther F. The phacosandwich Technique. In Rozakis cataract surgery: Alternative small incision technique.Thorofare,N.J. Slack Inc.71-110.
- Kansas P. Phaco fracture In Rozakis cataract surgery: Alternative small incision technique. Thorofare, N.J. Slack Inc. 45-70.
- Hennig A, Kumar J,Yorston D et al. Sutureless cataract surgery with nucleus extraction. Br J Ophthalmol 2003;87:266-270.
- Thomas R, Kuriakose T, George R. Towards achieving small incision cataract surgery 99.8% of time. Indian J Ophthalmol 2000;48:145-51.
- Natchiar G. Manual small incision cataract surgery. Madurai, India: Aravind Publication,2000.
- Goel R, Malik KPS. Techniques of Nuclear delivery in Nonphaco small incision cataract surgery. Ophthalmol Today 2003;IV:92-94.
- Dandona L,Dandona R,Naduvilath TJ. Population based assessment of the outcome of cataract surgery in an urban population in southern India. Am J Ophthalmol 1999;127:650-658.
- Prajna NV, Chandrakanth KS, Kim R. et al. The Madurai intraocular lens study II: clinical outcomes. Am J Ophthalmol 1998;125:14-25.
- Holladat JT,Cravy TV, Koch DD, Calculating the surgically induced refracting change following ocular surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg 1992;18:429-443.
- Wright M, Chawla H, Adams A. Results of small incision extracapsular cataract surgery using the anterior chamber maintainer without viscoelastics. Br J Ophthalmol 1999;83:71-75.
- Peng Q, Hennig A, Vasavada AR et al. Posterior capsular plaque: a common feature of cataract surgery in the developing world. Am J Ophthalmol 1998;125-621-626.
- Haberle H, Anders N, Drosch S et al. Modification of no stitch technique in extracapsular cataract extraction by a single radial suture. Effect on post operative astigmatism.
- Morlet N, Minassian D, Dart J. Asigmatism and the analysis of its surgical correction. Br J Ophthalmol 2001;85:1127-38.
Dr.P.Mishra, M.S. (Ophth),
Fellow Retina Foundation
Professor of Ophthalmology
e mail: [email protected]
Fellow Retina Foundation, Professor of Ophthalmology, RMMCH, Annamalai University-608002, Tamilnadu