E. Research Activities
- Participates in research activities within her ward after identification of needs.
- Conducts small scale research within her unit.
F. Reporting and recording Activities
- Maintains the Record/Report of each patients in her unit.
- Keeps up-to-date records of inventories confidential reports and leaves.
- Ensures that all patient’s records are written, clearly and completely.
- Ensures that all records are handed over to record section promptly.
G. Communication Activities
- Coordinates with staff as well as out side the institution and with agencies.
- Maintains good inter-personal relationship with staff and clients.
H. Counseling Activities
- Guides and does counseling to staff and patients as required in her unit.
I. Evaluative Activities
- Recommends Matron for her staff promotion and higher education
- Allows staff for self evaluation according to given evaluation Criteria.
- Evaluates the total nursing and non nursing activities in her unit.
- Gets feedback from clients for improvement of nursing care.
- Takes active participation in nursing audits.
Job description of Staff Nurse
Job Title: Staff Nurse
Place of Work: Hospital
Class/Level: Non Gazetted Class III
Qualification: R.N./R.M./BSc. Nursing Certificate in Nursing from recognized institutions.
Responsible to: Ward Sister, Assistant Matron and Matron.
Responsible for: ANM and supporting staff.
She is responsible to provide direct nursing care applying nursing
process. Supervises ANM and co-workers gives health education to patients/relatives and helps sister in ward management.
A. Clinical Activities
- Arrives in time and takes handover of patient bed to bed.
- Carries out assigned job given by sister/ward in charge.
- Plans and provides the basic care according to the priority needs of the patients.
- Prepares and takes round with Doctor.
- Caries out instructions appropriately, (collection of specimens investigations and medications etc.).
- Maintains personal hygiene of patient to prevent infection.
- Given medicine and injection in correct procedure e.g. transfusion E.V. infusion etc.
- Takes responsibility of admission and discharge of the patient.
- Conducts and manages safe delivery and does episiotomy if needed.
- Maintains interpersonal relationship with staff, patients, families and community
B. Administrative Activities
- Keeps adequate supplies (medicine, injection, linen etc.) and does inventory regularly.
- Keeps custody of drugs and maintains record of its administration.
- Checks all emergency drugs and equipments daily.
- Takes special attention about police case and absconded clients (medical, legal, dead body).
- Creates safe environment to prevent accidents in the ward.
C. Educative Activities
- Plans and provides health education to patients and relatives.
- Participates in in-service education programme.
- Helps students in learning activities.
D. Supervisory Activities
- Supervises and guides ANMs and Co-workers.
- Supervises patients and visitors for maintenance of health promotion.
E. Recording and Reporting Activities
- Reports Critical patient’s conditions promptly to the concerned person in verbal and written.
- Reports any absenteeism of staff.
- Records and reports nursing care, treatment, medicine correctly and promptly.
- Reports and records any losses and breakage in the unit.
F. Communication Activities
- Provides Psychological support to patient and relatives.
- Reports any incident to the concerned person.
- Gives orientation to patient and relatives about physical facilities, policy rules and regulations of the hospital.
- Participates in pre and post conference.
- Maintains good interpersonal relationship with patients’s relatives, sister, colleagues, co-workers and the department staff.
G. Research Activities
- Helps and participates in research activities.
- Does self evaluation regularly.
- Evaluates patient’s condition and nursing care process.
- Assists sister in staff appraisal.
- Takes parts in students evaluation.